Great shot of Mies. Photo by Werner Blaser.
This brings back to mind Edward Lifson’s presentation on Van der Rohe’s Crown Hall (in Crown Hall!) at SEED this year. I wish I had taken better notes, but I do remember one moment when Lifson stopped speaking, to draw the audience’s attention to interaction between the trees outside and the sunlight as they cast moving shadows behind the milk glass on the lower half of the building. Learning about the building while being surrounded by it was pretty amazing.
Also, the chair reminds me of this piece by Carl Jerstam (uncredited on IKEA’s site!).
In my mind, 90% of IKEA stuff is nice to look at, but not made to last. These chairs fall into the other 10%, and the cantilever design makes for a comfortable sitting position with a slight “bounce”.
Indeed a great shot. Credits?
It’s been over six years since I graduated from IIT and I still despise that man for creating some of the ugliest buildings on that campus.
I completely agree with Patrick’s attitude.
Ditto Patick and Walker. Nevertheless, nice shot of him (in a modern chair, at a modern table, in a classical room).
Seriously – when praising the work is the entire basis for a post, you could credit the artist. Photo is by Werner Blaser.
Thanks for the credit info, I’ve updated the post. Someone sent me the picture—I didn’t know where it came from and they didn’t either.
I had the pleasure of seeing the Barcelona Pavilion in person this summer. My mouth hung open. Incredible designer.
I have one thing to say, “And finally, monsieur, a wafer-thin mint? Really, it’s wahfer theeen.”
I think I remember seeing this photo in the Chicago Tribune Sunday Magazine a few years back… it’s taken in his apartment that he lived in. I always found it interesting that the father of minimalist architecture lived in an ornate, classically influenced building rather than in something he himself designed. But the dichotomy of the traditional trim, etc. with his minimalist furnishings are interesting and do showcase the differences.
I lived in a Mies Van Der Rohe neighborhood. Talk about great stuff – I am not a fan of modern architecture all the time, but Mies’ community was well planned and really fostered a sense of community.
Although my building was not a Mies, many of my friends’ places were. Among the best modern there is. It was like I lived in the residential representation of an Apple Store.
Modern and classic styles can live together in harmony :-)
This photo appears in John Pawson’s Minimum. I’m sure it’s been published many times elsewhere.